The Risk in Numbers
(Source: Suva/VT/2010: Cases of accidents covered by Suva)
Falling from a height continues to be a major risk for many workers in Switzerland. The statistics gathered over the past years paint an unfortunate picture:
- One person dies every two weeks by falling on the job (25 fatal accidents a year).
- Every day a falling accident occurs involving permanent injuries.
- Ø9000 job-related falling accidents occur yearly in Switzerland.
- Ø270 million CHF in damages paid per year for falling accidents. This is a quarter of all damages paid out yearly for on-the-job accidents by Suva. · One falling accident costs Suva
- Ø26,000 CHF. By comparison, any other accident costs Ø 5,000 CHF.
- A falling accident resulting in permanent disability costs Ø 470,000 CHF.
- One permanent disability case can result in costs up to 2.5 million CHF.
- Almost every third job-related accident involving death or permanent disability is a falling accident.
- The main causes of falling accidents are incorrect preparation, lack of training, as well as overestimating one’s abilities.